What Does J Records Have Brewing, SOHH Soulful Top 5

| 428 Comments

SOHH, Clive Davis is at it again. His stable of sonic beauties are bubbling under and are about to fill the airwaves once more. We've all read lately how he is "saving" Whitney Houston's career. There has been word that Alicia Keys might drop something in January. Monica is some where in the mix droppin' beats, callin' out sideline hoes and prepping her new album for an October release. But wait, there's more...

Clive has this new chick hitting the scene. Her name is Emily King. Here is the skinny, if you haven't already heard. She is 20. From the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Biracial. Her parents are jazz musicians. She sings, writes, plays instruments. And her first single has Biggie on it.

(Gimmick? check, Crossover appeal? check, Vocal prowess? check Cha-ching? we'll see...)

The name of her forthcoming album is East Side Story. Her first single, produced by Chucky Thompson, is "Walk in My Shoes" featuring Notorious B.I.G. Damn are they giving away Biggie samples these days? Or is that a statement being made. Hmmm. Click here to listen.

I interviewed Emily last week. Stay tuned for how she responds to the question of how much of her persona is packaged. Something must be brewing. J Records would only allow telephone interviews and thus far have not issued any photos of Miss King.

But while you all were wondering why the United States provides protection to foreign leaders while they are visiting this country but other countries would murder an American leader while visiting their country, we were laughing at Chavez calling Bush "the devil" and compiling our...

SOHH SOULFUL TOP 5 SONGS OF THE MOMENT!

5. Michelle Williams - "Love Thang"
THIS SONG IS NOT NEW, but I posted it since people are mistaking it as such and others suddenly want to hear it. This track actually appears on Michelle's sophomore solo CD.

4. Lil Fizz featuring Missez - "Fluid"
I ain't gonna lie, I kinda like this one.

3. Glenn Lewis - "Storm"

2. Shaggy featuring Nicole (PCD) - "Hot"
Anything with Nicole in it gets my vote.

(Imma upload it... hold on)

1. Bow Wow featuring Chris Brown - "Shorty Like Mine"

The bonus track that Imma need y'all to love is that new Diddy featuring Christina Aguilera. It's titled "Tell Me" from his forthcoming CD, Press Play.

428 Comments

Hey Soulman!

^^^

What's poppin'?

Good Morning Soul Man!

top 5:
1.Frankie j-that girl
2.kelly rowland- addicted
3.beyonce- get me bodied
4.chris brown- goodbye (I know it's old but that's my jam)
5.justin timberlake-lovestoned/I think she knows

On the real that bow wow and chris brown song sounds hot, I like it.

I'm going a little of topic this morning and ask you some questions. May I begin?

Hey Soulman,

I laughed when I read that Chavez comment this morning too.

OMG... another AKEYS... lol. This EMILY girl has almost the same bio as AKEYS, and she sounds like she did on her first album. I do not think it would be a far stretch to say that someone either has a familiar ghost writer, or CLIVE is just passing on the formula to another person, since AKEYS is playing Where's Waldo.

I like the song though.

TOP 5
-JANET JACKSON'S WHOLE ALBUM
-BEY- Irreplaceable
-RIHANNA- We Ride
-JOHNTA- Turn It Up
-LIONEL R- I Call It Love

I can't get rid of that JOHNTA nor LIONEL. For real. And, JANET's whole album is crazy. I was driving so slow, just to bang the songs... then I ran upstairs and popped in the other copy and proceeded to jam some more. Fire.

Wassup PhillyGate, Sohhoulful and the rest of my partners in (c)rime,
SKDaVideoVixen's(LOL)5:
Kelis- "Like You"
GhostFace-"R.A.G.U."
Anthony Hamilton-"Sista Big Bones"
The Roots(featuring Peedi Crack)-"Long Time"
A tribe Called Quest- "Lyrics To Go"
Honorable Mention- Dang!- "Sohh Excited"

Sohhoul Man,
Why do you think they haven't released any flicks? Tina Marie syndrome?

Oh bother... SK... lol.

Sohhoul Man,
Why do you think they haven't released any flicks? Tina Marie syndrome?

Posted by: skdamc at September 21, 2006 10:20 AM

Well I think is probably older than 20 and I also think that they are grooming her behind the scenes first.

Also she looks more white than black sohh, they might be going for that shock factor.

Yeah I agree, Emily's description is some what similar to alicia keys.

Hey Soulman,

I laughed when I read that Chavez comment this morning too.

Posted by: js at September 21, 2006 10:18 AM

^^^^

But yet, we are providing high level security for these leaders that come in and disrespect. I ain't saying we/Bush don't deserve to be told about our/himselves but I'd be damn if Imma pay for someone to tell me off.

Who. She sounds better than A.Keys thanks for posting. Damn what is going on.

Yeah I agree, Emily's description is some what similar to alicia keys.

Posted by: Layla at September 21, 2006 10:27 AM

^^^
Damn right. It's almost like a clone.

The describe her as "coffeehouse meets hip hop party".

Hey Mr. Soulful have you heard of Aliana chick that Jay-z signed. She is the Goddaughter of Quincy Jones. She plays keyboards as well. She puts you in the mindset of Alicia Keys and she is just 16. She is black and Spanish. I will look for some footage if you want. Just let me know

Posted by: rere at September 21, 2006 10:31 AM

^^^
Oh hell yea. Run it like Chris Brown.

SOHHSOULFUL@sohh.com

Great song from Miss King. I picked up the Governor album. Soulful from front to back. Instant classic. I don't know what kind of promotion this kid is getting but maybe its the type of album that grows as the weeks go on. Those are the best ones because it shows the talent and not all the hype.

hey all,

i've seen this girl, emily king perform live at the village underground and at another concert. IMO she needs a lot of work (based on her live performance0. she seems to be a better song writer. her voice was cracking throughout her performance (both times i saw her) and people didn't really seem impressed.

i love michelle's song, Love Thang. I never understood why she didn't release it. it is beautiful. her whole album was solid.

Soulman: I like that Emily Kings and she def has a lil AKeys flava - voice wise. The Diddy joint is real nice - but I can't hear nothing til I hear him and Keyshia Cole...lol I will be waiting on it (hint hint)

Top 5 Soulful Joints
5. Janet - So Excited
4. JT - Lovestoned
3. Lil Llyod ft Weezy - You (I think)
2. JT - Loasing My Way
1. Janet - Roll Witchu

Shit that Janet is fiyah. I listen to the entire CD w/o skipping a track - same thing for JT - dam!!!!!

Posted by: Girly Girl at September 21, 2006 10:33 AM

^^^

Waddup Girly Girl-

You tired from fashion week? Y'all got Bryant Park looking a mess over there.

I don't know why that bassline in that Emily King song reminds me so much of Crucial Confict's "Smokin' on Hay"!!!

Soulman:
I don't if we are liking white people today but I forgot to give JoJo and honorable mention. My daughter told me about the song alst night and the shit is awesome - does anyone know the name of the song? I have seen the video on VH1 soul

You tired from fashion week? Y'all got Bryant Park looking a mess over there.

Posted by: SOHH Soul Man at September 21, 2006 10:35 AM
-------------------
i'm very tired from fashion week....i'm so over it too (not the designers, but the people that attend). the city is trying to get us out of bryant park...that wouldn't be a good thing.

Posted by: KSH at September 21, 2006 10:35 AM
^^^

"Those flashing lights come from everywhere..."

Posted by: verbal_entercourse at September 21, 2006 10:36 AM

smoking on hay was the jam back in the day. wait, that rhymes lol

well, I was going to say she must be 'big' b/c we all know the industry doesn't take too well to that, but girly girl blew that theory.
can't wait to get to a real pc to hear it (pdas are great between classes,but they make you miss too damn nuch!)

how did you guys get a hold of Janet's album. let a sistah know!

Soulman,
Have you heard Governor's album, though? He's a real soulful dude.

@persia,

what theory? I missed that.

:KSH
I love JoJo. I don't know why. But I just like the girl. I love her song "too little too late."

I coulda swore i heard that Diddy/Christina on Making the Band 3... was that a Danity/Cherri Dennis song?

@persia,
what theory? I missed that.
Posted by: Girly Girl at September 21, 2006 10:43 AM
sorry , not theory...I mean you saw her, so my thoery on my no pic releases is null& void

:GP
I just emailed SOHH about that. They used the song during MTB season 2. I could have sworn it was going to be on the DK album. Then PUFF, in his "no one will outshine me" fashion, did an interview with MTV and previewed some tracks. This being one of them. I am hearing that his album is going to kill em this year.

I dont like the Emily King joint. I couldnt even listen to the whole thing. All I could hear was Alicia Keys and if Im hearing Alicia Keys, it might as well BE Alicia Keys and not some knock-off.

More accurately stated........ I dont believe this chick. I hear what she's sayin and I get what she's trying to create, but I dont believe her. And her vocals aint all that grabbing either. Im sorry, not gon be able to do it.

Top 5

My Love - JT ft. TI
One on One - Hall & Oates
Unappreciated - Cherish
Pulling Me Back - Chingy and Tyrese
Thundercats theme song - Thundercats, LOL

Dont worry bout it.

@persia,

She's short, she has curly shoulder length hair, and she kinda petite. she not over weight. She also plays the guitar. My friend and I were saying she would be a good person to team up with an artist like india arie to write songs, but not perform. but hey, you never know how far she'll get.

someone mentioned JoJo, the girl has talent. I heard her first album and I love it! Don't know if her second album was released yet.

On JoJo-I was down with her after I heard her version of "Weak". That shit is hot.
Couldn't play the King song. They got streaming audio like that blocked. Ain't that some shit. I'm in IT and I can't even listen to it. But I don't like Akeys so I'm gonna just walk it off.
Bow Wow-Blecht! Tired of snap music, but CB is my boy. Friends trying to get me up to KC this weekend for the concert, but I don't think I wanna be the oldest person there at 27 and the only dude.
Diddy-Was hatin it until CA started singing. I think the album is gonna be hot kinda like Timberland's first album where he featured all those artists so it was like a mixed tape.

Thundercats are on the move
Thundercats are loose...

And PS: I'm still mad at the mention of Cita's World from yesterday. Damn that stan.

@ girly girl. I've got janet. if you don't have by 9 tonight.hit me on im- persiaroc- and ill get it to oyu when I get home.

eb and sk- can I get some email funnies love sent to me so I have something to entertian me @ work later? thanks!

@persia,

thanks!

Soulman: Don't start nothing! That has been my theme song all week. These white boi's gotta be on point at the JOB b/c I will be gone the New Orleans for the Falcons game on Monday.

I have been poisoning them with JT all week...lol

Now Janet...lol

Although they prefer Lupe.

:BC
Did they ever reveal who CITA was?

Persia: I got a meeting but Ima see if I can hook you up before I roll. Holla bout tomorrow too.

LOL @ Rocky. Been in my head all damn day LOL.

BC: Oh yeah I read that last night I was cracking up!!!! Cita was the worst shit I ever seen...lol

And yes JoJo's song is banging. I gotta find it for Madison b/c her and those damn Cheetah girls are getting on my last lil nerve...lol

I will too be at the saints game. We are going to kick butt!

What up all....I'm gonna do a Trissa (but with Janet!)

My top 5..
1. Janet - pick one
2. Janet - pick another one
3. Janet - pick another
4. Janet - keep going
5. Janet - SOHH Excited!!!!

Caryy on....:)

Who need to drop albums quick:
1. D'Angelo
2. Musiq Soulchild
3. Maxwell
4. Lauren Hill
5. Waiting for the Kid usher to come back and kill 'em
6. And I could use another Jill Scott album

I'm feeling that Emily King, it hit me the same way Alicia Key's "Falling" hit me when I first heard it. Also there is some girl named Aliana who I think Jay-Z signed. She's like another Alicia Keys as well. Should be interesting.

*Carry*

EMILY KING's MYSPACE!

She has some good music.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by SOHH Soul Rebel published on September 21, 2006 9:06 AM.

Justin Moves 700,000 in the First Week, Janet Springs A Leak! was the previous entry in this blog.

Rush It or Flush It, New Joints From Game, Ciara and Fantasia is the next entry in this blog.